Monday, January 5, 2009

Calls today:
1. CIT - final payroll was sent out. I should receive 35 hours plus 160.44 hours of vacation.
2. Jeanette Kelly (Access NY). Sent her the resume. Had an uncomfortable conversation regarding my status. She has no positions. Looks not promising.
3. Lily Li (Base-One). Had a good conversation. She seems very upbeat. Says there are lots of positions, although didn't connect me with one. We will see.
4. Cobra - they tried to connect to CIT but couldn't. They still have not received notice.

Sent a 2nd email to Renee. No answer yet. If no answer by end of day, I will call Durkin and Forte tomorrow. Also will call Robert Half and tell them to call her if they have to.

Left a message for Caroline Doherty at QED National. No response yet.

Three leads came from Ron Centra - Lily, Jeanette and Caroline. He's a professional job seeker. I don't think I would want to do that - always selling myself. No security. No conformity. Constantly a temp. And it doesn't sound like he is compensated for it either. It would be one thing if he were making $250M and willing to work job to job. But it seems like he makes no more than me.

I don't know if I am being negative or realistic. But if a reference from CIT is going to be a key to getting a job, then it seems like I won't be able to get either one.

Self employment may be my only viable option, as well as what is likely to be best for my family in the long run. If I can make that work, it would be great. But I have no idea how big an IF that is.

I can always rely on Durkin I guess. But he's pretty much full of it and a giant gossip. Do I want to go into detail with him, and then have him say no thanks, only to self-spread my story thru him to every acquaintance he knows?

I am meeting with Fidelity tomorrow. I have no idea what the investment strategy should be. My thinking is it should be short term focused not long term. I don't want to lose any more money in the next year or two. If my situation changes/stabilizes then we can shift to a more traditional retirement strategy. But for now, principal preservation is paramount.

No comments:

Post a Comment