Spoke to Mike yesterday. He finally got an answer from his contact. They passed on the transaction. So no job. He has something lined up for 2/1, a basic abl deal.
He was optimistic that he'd be able to find me work, but the expectation is that I will also develop my own contacts and clients to fill in the gaps. I may be able to do that, or not. But either way it will take time and I can't be without income while it happens. Plus I've been out of circulation for 5 years. I need a little time to get back in shape again before I start selling myself to people.
Mike will pay substantially more, plus he's a better guy and I would enjoy working with him. But I need cash coming in.
This transaction sounded exciting, but it didn't pan out. I can't have that happen. I don't have a cushion of cash I can ride out.
I think in the long run Mike and I will work together. Unless I am surprised, I think the Durkin thing will be a means to an end, at best. And Durkin knows that. He's thinking that I will find some controller job or something permanent. Maybe I will, but I really have no interest in that kind of thing. I want to do what I know and what I do best.
This is a new road. Working for myself. Will have to find out if I can make it. It has the potential for being a blast. Just like Mike said. Working for yourself can have serious psychological advantages. It has some serious disadvantages too - you have to keep proving yourself every day and there is no safety net.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment