The more I think about it the more irritated I am with Joel Smith. He told me to take a loan rather than a withdrawl from the 401k. I am sure I told him I lost my job. Therefore I can't take a loan.
He told me my tax rate would be 45% so I would have to pay another 25% after they took 20% taxes out from any withdrawl. My tax rate is 20% according to my paycheck, not counting ss.
I asked him if I could deduct heathcare costs as a business expense. Did he tell me that I'd have the write the check from the business account? No.
I asked what kind of records to keep. He didn't even give me an answer. I assume he's going to need to see something in order to file returns. Does he need a general ledger, just a pile of expense receipts, what? I asked what kind of software. He said quickbooks. Yeah it's popular, but is it overkill? My business at first is going to consist of funds received from Durkin and money going out to pay bills. A checkbook program can handle that. At worst I will have to keep my expense reports and keep track of my unpaid time to make sure I don't get screwed.
MS Money will be fine. Why should I spend $200 on quickbooks. If there is a reason, to do so he should have told me.
I asked him about healthcare. He said he knows nothing because he's on his wife's plan. WTF? Unless I can get on his wife's plan too, I need advice. He should at least be familiar enough with the healthcare needs of his small business clients that he can refer me to an agent.
Either he doesn't do much of this, or he's erroneously assuming that I know a lot more about accounting than I do. I need to be walked thru this.
From my conversation with the Kalmuses it seems like becoming a corp. is a good idea. Ron did the same thing. But beyond that I still have lots of questions and I don't even know what I don't know. That's why there are accountants.
I need another accountant. Will talk with Jack and Ron.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment